At this challenging time, during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Children and Youth Planning Table of Waterloo Region, Waterloo Region Crime Prevention Council, Waterloo Region Immigration Partnership and Wellbeing Waterloo Region are hoping to spread the message that we’re in this together. We are, in fact, Stronger Together. For many of us, the families we serve, and the neighbours we care about, these days can be difficult to get through. And things can feel better when we hear, see and feel a connection with others.
We are hoping you – our community partners, community members and leaders will join us in sharing a short video message that is meaningful to you and/or your organization during these times.
The following guidelines, and sample videos below, will help get you started:
Waterloo region, we’re in this together.
Following that key message, we suggest that you say a couple of words about what those words mean for you/your organization in particular. Some examples might be:
- At ______ we are making sure the ______ services are still here for you over the phone/Zoom/ Facetime/etc.
- Our team at ________ is working hard to __________.
- I believe that ________.
- I’ve noticed _________.
Finally, we invite you to end with a closing message that is meaningful to you/the work you do in the community. If you need some inspiration, please consider any of the following messages (and modify for the population you are trying to connect with). Or of course, use a meaningful message of your own:
- These times are hard. Take a breath. It’s ok to not be ok. You don’t have to have all of the answers. Together we will get through this.
- We are all doing the best we can. We will get through this time. Together.
- We’ve got this.
- Reaching out is a great way to love your kids/neighbours and love yourself. It’s ok to ask for help
- It’s normal to be overwhelmed with all the information coming out.
- The need to keep our distance to slow the spread of COVID-19 can be very isolating, especially for newcomers. It’s ok to ask for help.
- Many community organizations are working hard to help people in Waterloo Region, no matter how long you’ve lived here and provide you with the information you need in the language you need it.
- This pandemic is stressful for everyone, and being far away from family and friends around the world makes it even harder.
- Be kind to yourself and others. Don’t try to be a perfect parent…just lean in and love your child. Listen to them, and be patient.
- Reach out – Family Compass/211/Immigration Waterloo Region is here to help connect you to information and support.
- Positive Parenting key messages
What to Do:
- Record a short video following the 3 steps above.
Feel free to adjust the wording or order to fit the way you communicate best.
Look directly into the camera as though you’re speaking to someone face to face.
Keep it short – aim for 30 seconds max.
- Post your video to your personal or organization’s social media using the hashtag #StrongerTogetherWR and invite others to share their own messages with the community. Looking for sample social media posts? Click here
- Consider linking to www.familycompasswr.ca or www.immigrationwaterlooregion.ca when you post your message to direct followers to a running list of resources for families in our community, or to www.211.ca for broader supports.
Thank you for joining your colleagues, community members and friends in sharing a message of hope, connection and resilience. Now more than ever, Waterloo region absolutely is Stronger Together!
Three Sample Videos: